There is much more to fishing rods than meets the eye. In this video I explain why expensive fishing rods are not necessarily stronger than cheap fishing rods. I also explain why I just recently broke my Venom fishing rod. I am not a technical person, and may be punching slightly above my weight here, but I think that you find this video particularly interesting as there is so much more to fishing rods than meets the eye.
Graphite based fishing rods can come in many forms. There are so many different variables of graphite, graphite composites etc… Fiberglass fishing rods are similar, but maybe not quite as complex. The fiberglass fishing rod has been around much longer than the graphite fishing rod, and tends to live much longer as well as it is not as prone to being broken.
So, the graphite fishing rods are more expensive and break much easier. Why on earth would anybody buy one then? Why not just buy a cheaper fiberglass fishing rod?
In this video, talking fishing rods with Robbie Alexander I explain it all in a simple form that most people would understand. And for what it is worth, I could not explain fishing rods in a more technical form even if I wanted to because I am not an expert in that field. I use my fishing rods, I don’t study them.

1. Robert Verbeek

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Hi Robbie,lm looking at different braid line and would like to know which is better for baitcaster ,,4 strand or 16 strand ? Is one stronger…both 50lb..🐟

2. Trojs Fishing

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Most carbon rods meet there end in a car door. Strong but any nicks or chips and they can suddenly snap. Fiberglass rods strong but heavy.

3. Rob Graham

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Great vid Robbie, One of the way's to describe it is that the Fibreglass rod is that thin tree in the wind that can bend like heck and whip back with out snapping but isn't necessary as strong if you tried to use it to lift or use it as a leaver while a Carbon Fibre (Graphite) rod is like the thick Gum Tree.. it's stiffer and stronger but doesn't take the flex as well, it'll snap sooner but requires a lot more force to do so.
    The action on the Graphite/CF rods is amazing and I find going back to fibreglass after a graphite.. it drives me nuts even on bait fishing.. you can feel the bites with a Graphite rod, or the movement over the base of the lake/river etc.. so you know what your in.. fibreglass.. simply not there.
    It's all Rod technique though.. with a carbon rod you simply have to remember to unload the rod if it starts to bend too far.. bring the rod down, and take some of the stress off the rod and back onto the line itself.
    oh and don't drop em vertically either.. CF/Graphite rods are strong yeah but they really don't like 'shocks'.

4. Cove Snipes

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Nice video, been watching these videos for awhile now and started making some fishing videos on my channel. If you wanna check them out.

5. Braydens Fishing World

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Awesome vid loved watching keep up the good work

6. Rocket's Fishing Adventures

Dear Robbie
    On behalf of all the rods out there, thanks for that reminder to take care of your rods.
    Cheers, Rod (AKA Rocket) 👍

7. Dave Days

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Hey robbie would fibreglass rods be dangerous if they break for asbestos lol

8. Kmh Fishing

And I thought I fished a lot going once a week, 😂

9. MOOSEDOWNUNDER

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Great review and advice mate. enjoyed that.

10. Daniel Butler

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Good info, man! As nice as the fishing videos are, it's really nice from time to time to have an informational video on lures, baits, rods and reels. Great perspective on the use of fiberglass versus graphite! Reminded me of a few rods I've broken over the years.

11. Dale Argus

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Great info Robbie keep it up

12. Burnsy fishing and outdoors

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

lol id be upset if i broke any of my rods discontinued models fenwick methods travel medium/medium heavy 3 piece 7ft four in one travel combo rod its my fave bass rod and a fenick medium heavy 6.6ft hmx also discontinued older model or my 5.8ft fenwick river runner ultralight but the ultralight they still make its under warranty still lol

13. Andrew Fishman

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Given the thrashing you give your rods, it is impressive they last as long as they do. Thanks for taking the time to talk about the rods and what can go wrong. I broke the top of my G Loomis, took it to the tackle shop for repair, tackle shop closed and I never saw my rod again 🙁

14. Beefeater

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

We're cavemen; we break stuff. 😊

15. PhucCheu vlogs

Cảm ơn chú đã chia sẽ

16. BUSHCRAPPING

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

You can still fight big fish or put more pressure on a fish with a light rod. Just reel in keeping the rod parallel with the water but lift the but instead of the tip

17. IThutcho hutchButch

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

just bend the top eye up and youll be good

18. Outdoors with Cjr

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

My baitcaster got caught up in the roof, that’s my story on snapped fishing rods

19. Snippet The sock

Get yourself a Jarvis walker longneck nice small boat rod only $30

20. codgobbler01

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Hey bro i got a rod sock for you

21. Brad Tuckerman

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Great work mate awesome video

22. john dwyer

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for the information Robbie.
    Yes rod design has come a long way but you can't beat a good old bamboo rod flexible and sensetive. thanks mate.

23. Les Baxter

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

spot on Rob! Modern world we live in it is ALWAYS someone else's fault! Yup you firetrucked up we have all done that but the cool thing to do in this modern world is nope not my fault! Where is my compo! Rule of thumb still is to me a good fisherman will catch a fish no mater what rod they use because of the skills and experience! All my rods are kmart or similar rods I put good line on them and change the line regularly, it is paramount to look after the reel! That is the tool to get the fish in! Oh and go Tigers! Good the footy is back!

24. Trout & Salmon

Nice video! I’ve got around 20 rods and only 3 of them still have the tip😂

25. Phoebe Mckenzie

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

i understand i have broken my rods just from propping them some where and they fall and the tips break off closed them in car doors and broke them. as they say shit happens people are faulty hahaha i could not count on two hands how many rods that i have been through. i have rods that i just put new tip on the rod and keep using it. it may be shorter but it still works in smaller areas. keep fishing and have a great day (big smiles)

26. n k

Broke 3 fly rods in 2 weeks all in car doors LOL

27. captainfrank01

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Rods definitely degrade over time Robbie, and as you said, you may have damaged that Venom previously without knowing it. I have had several rods over the years that have inexplicably snapped after they had been sitting in the shed for a long time and then got used again. Hot Adelaide summers probably don't help either and I reckon that graphite rods are far more susceptible to breakage than fibreglass. Still annoying though! PS Your turn for the next fishing joke.

28. Alan Stock

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

sorry i have forgot to mention great new intro. only rods i have broken are all my fault my car door has eaten 5 of them.

29. New shirt….sweet…lol

30. Vincent Donnelly

Just a quick tip. LOL.

31. Grum Dev

March 23, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Mate, with the amount of use you’ve gotten out of that rod I’d say it was good value!