I am sure many of us that have taken up sea fishing have at some point float fished for Mackerel and other species such as Garfish and Pollack whether it is from harbour walls, deep shelving beaches, or rocky outcrops. No matter how experienced you become at sea fishing or how many species of fish you target the basic technique of float fishing for the humble Mackerel is for me still great fun and something I like to do a few times each summer and autumn when the Mackerel come close to shore to feed on bait fish. This video is one of those occasions with tips, pointers, and advice for those new to float fishing for Mackerel.
———————————————————————————————————–
View Other Mackerel Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvalk56UNc6qib_kACLFyYkBNgk3q6Zqz
———————————————————————————————————–
Social Media:
———————————————————————————————————–
Music:
———————————————————————————————————–
Proudly associated with Cornwall Canoes;
Cornwall’s only specialist kayak fishing supplier.

1. Emanuele Mura

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

What bite should I use to finish mackerel?

2. uBreakIt iRepairIt

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

I've had that problem frequently where there's in imbalance on the rig and the and the line gets tangled, especially when you use glow sticks or a glow light at the top of a Sabiki rig. Basically the glow stick / glow light may cast out ahead of the weight (happens when not enough weight is used) and or twirl in the air, and cause them to tangle up. It was only up until last night, that I realized what the problem was and how to fix it when I saw this guy using a floating rig (I've never used one). His rig would cast out perfectly every single time. As long as the lead is heavy enough and is at the end of the rig, but not too heavy as to sink the bobber / floater, the line should never tangle. I usually use a Sabiki Rig with a 1oz weight at the bottom and a flashing light at the top. If I wasn't dropping straight down from the pier, then I would cast out and reel in slowly (works when the Mackerals are really out there and biting), but doesn't give the rig a chance to sit out there in open water. It was only up until I saw his floating rig, that I realized you could cast out and leave it out there w/o it sinking. I decided that's going to be my go to set up from now on, unless I'm dropping straight down from the pier into deeper water.

3. a J

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

nice vid! seen a few now as im planning to go to cornwall in a months time. Where is this area? and where would you recommend for Pollock, sea bass, bream. thanks! used to do a lot of fishing when I lived down south (eastbourne) and used to catch a lot of mackerel/seabass/mullet/sea bream and miss it so planning to go with my brother and family for the weekend in cornwall for fishing but have no idea of the area as its so vast!

4. crystal shine

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Hello,I like your video. Very informative. Could you please tell me,What the name of the Bag you use to store the fish?You mention that can buy on Ebay? Thanks in advance.

5. Ryan H.

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

I’ve had mackerel on ragworm too. They’ll eat just about anything haha!

6. Alien_Industries

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

use some burley, we use pollard and fish oils and makes them go into a feeding frenzy and keeps them around rather than just passing schools.

7. [LEWD] Natbasher

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Hi Rob, possibly a daft question so please forgive my relative newcomer inexperience! – but would float fishing with a mackerel feather jig instead of a single baited hook off of a shelving beach be viable?

8. buddy smith

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

The rig is too complicated.

9. Roger Sham

I'm your new subscriber

10. Michael McBride

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Another great mackerel fishing video. Very enjoyable, well presented and highly educational. Many thanks.

11. Syyed Hosein

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

hi, can I get the name of the float you are using please. I am looking for it on amazon but cannot find it

12. Master. Dale

best tip ever

13. North Devon Rockfishing

Good vid mate

14. KAFAS - Ricardo Passos

Great video…great channel….subscribed…

15. The football Trio

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Are the mackerel still about in st Ives/ near that area?

16. CagedLemp

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Man honestly you are living the dream, I cant wait to move to Cape Breton Island and get a fishing kayak like yours.

17. Gomexus Tackle

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

wow, you did a really great video, and can you tell me whic reel you use?

18. David Green

Excellent vlog, well explained and informative, thank you. DG New Forest

19. Jim Strong

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

I'm assuming you get better results from 'real' bait than artificial or feathers or lures.

20. the criminal bastard

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

geeat vid man i never new a small hook was better i always used huge hooks with large bait but i catch wayy more fish with small bait and hooks

21. Rider Kelton

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Hi, I'm relatively new to fishing, would you recommend connecting rigs with the loop to loop arrangement or should I add a swivel to my mainline and cut off after each session (thus shortening my main line each time).

Thanks! Love the channel.

22. John Murphy

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

The mackerel are in at my local harbour and they are quite small and it's very hard to know what type of feathers to use

23. Jim Hinson

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

don't those teeth shred your thumb??

24. thegashman1

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Only ever used feathers with macks. Love floating, not considered it before! Thanks.

25. Frederick Roy

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Would this technique work in the cold waters of Nova Scotia

26. charliecheeze1

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

that was really instructive. thank you for posting. having just watched this with my 10 year old daughter, she's asked if we can try this on our summer holiday! so I might get lucky and catch something now I hope!

27. Old Man of the Woods

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Great informative video! More, please! Thanks! Subbed!

28. Jose Angel Ares

Like!

29. Jose Angel Ares

Hello from Spain,
    What kind (brand) and size of hook do you usually use for mackerel fishing?Thank you very much and keep it up.

30. Hornet kurd

nice ,,, Great video

31. robert boardman

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

hi rob waht month was this fished …cheers

32. Placebo PRS

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

Really great video thanks, I'm moving to Portugal in August and this technique will be perfect there, just have to learn to tie a stop knot properly it's the thing I've always struggled with when float fishing in deep waters.

33. Gerald Swain

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

COMES ON ROB!WHERE'S THE VIDEOS I'M GETTING WITHDRAWRAL SYMTOMS!!!.

34. That happened to me getting tangled up I think I'll use your method mate

35. Shaun Flynn

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

I wish you showed what you do after you get the fish to land – hook removal, and how to kill it.

36. Alex Tol, van

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

If you have no bait you can start with an empty hook. They take it, and then the first fish is your bait.

37. Vitaliy Lawson

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

great video keep the good work up love your vids thanks for sharing

38. Penn Wooding

October 14, 2018 at 5:47 am

I thought it was also worth mentioning another reason why sometimes you should put in the extra stronger line for the weight to slide up on down on. In recent years they have introduced the zinc weights. You often find tackle shops selling zinc rather than lead ball weights. I found out a few years ago that these zinc ball weights have a serious flaw. The entrance to the hole is as sharp as a knife and occasionally when the line rubs up against the edge of a hole completely slices through the line and everything falls off. Thankfully, the few times it's happened to me I have actually wound in. So if you are going to using zinc, I would advise people to use a much thicker piece of line to stop the zinc ball weight from severing your line.

39. Michael Nguyen