In this intermediate level tutorial, I discuss one way to set up a basic crafting (or more specifically harvesting) system using the fishing ideas from my game Legend of Ancients.

1. Big Tricky

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

I added 4 bait types , I also have 31 differint fish types. To use this you just add a "show choices" after the rod check, then each bait follows its own self switch A,B,C and D.

2. Yukigigi

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

This was really helpful! Thank you!

3. I'm only getting one fish, why?

4. Amanda Skidmore

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Hey Redweaver, Been watching your fishing video & followed everything except the Random of 0- 99 ( which I just did 0-50 ) . Unfortunately it keeps rolling the same two over & over. I was wondering if you  know the ratio? because This is what I have : 0-10 nothing, 10-20 – seaweed, 20-30 yellow fish, 30-40 blue fish, and 40-50 silver fish. It only jumps to seaweed and silver fish.. and it starting to make me sad… and pretty much ready to give up on the fishing for my game, also I tried putting in a battle as well and then is only goes to the battle and seaweed. X_x

5. Lowgun Hendrie

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

I think what I'm going to do in the game I'm designing is also add bait as an option. Basically just create another conditional branch after the game checks the inventory to check for bait, and if the player has bait it will remove one bait from the player's inventory. That way the player can't just farm up infinite items from fishing, lol

6. Igor Nóbrega

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Hello, im using that code for Fishing, but i wanted to add 2 different Fishing Poles(1 better than the other, like if you have the smaller one you can only catch small fish, and if you have a better one you can catch them all) but im not sure how to do it. I tried with Conditional branches, but the problem is when you have both Fishing poles in your inventory. Please help

7. Carly White

TTT T T T
    T TTT T
    T T T T T

8. Nicholas Todd

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Couple questions, I'm still a little new to rpg maker. I got fishing working except there is a couple things I want to change or maybe I missed something. When u fish, in order to catch the fish u have to click the event again, is there a way to make it go though the whole cycle without having to click the event again. Also if not or in case I leave it like that can I make the player freeze there and keep them from casting the line out and then walking away leaving the line in the water then coming back later clicking it still has the fish on there, seems like this should be easy but cant seem to get it to work right.I tried to make a new event page and just making him wait until the self switch is turned off but not working right for some reason.

9. Angus Macnaughton

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Really useful, thanks for the tutorial!

10. east3myway

does this work for xp

11. sarmad sdeeq

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

great tutorial .. just one stupid question
    i went to control variable but i dont know how to set up the percentage??
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

12. Nicholas Wyatt

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Hey man, great tutorial! But where can i get that fishing spot graphic?

13. Daniel Hall

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Hey there Redweaver 🙂 How ya doing? I have followed your tutorial's quite some time just to see how you have been doing some stuff (I have experience with the engine from the original title onwards on PS1, PS2 etc.) But the reason I am here is to ask if you would like to take part in a project me and a friend are making (commercial game) if you want some more info please email me at djhall1990@gmail.com

14. joeman123964

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Hey, need some help. I purchased the samurai resource pack. once i got all the data in my maker engine for some reason it automatically changed my menu screens. like usually its blue with white trim. but its dark text with a dark purple with bamboo trim. i dont mind the bamboo i know how to change the main menu color background. but how do i change the trim? and how do i change the text?

15. Alvin Collier

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

This tutorial helped a bunch, thanks!

16. Ravel C

February 3, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Could you do a tutorial on how to make puzzles? More specifically, how to make a statue you can both push and pull while holding "action" button and facing in the direction of the statue. Also how to cause an event to trigger such as: Pushing a statue "onto" a pressure plate and also being able to pull it off if it's "wrong". I can't seem to figure out how to do Zelda-esque style of pressure plate puzzles. The events don't overlap, thus can't "see" when it's on top.