In today’s Realistic Mail Bag, I go through a bunch of random old fishing lures and vintage tackle. I received several bags of soft plastics, hooks, and even an old baitcaster. This baitcaster has a level wind that I have never seen before. I also received a Tokyo Rig which is a rig I haven’t tried yet. Besides fishing gear, I was sent a painted work of art, and a bottle of hot sauce. I really enjoy looking through random fishing lures and especially the old vintage stuff. Thanks to all of the subscribers who sent mail to the show.

Send mail to the show here:
Realistic Fishing
PO Box 2005
Lebanon TN 37088

Buy & Try Yourself: https://www.amazon.com/shop/realisticfishing

Contribute via Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/realisticfishing
Awesome Patrons: Devin Long – Chaos Paddlers – Steve Dimond – Jason Smith – Joe Pusateri – Scott Hettel – Chue Lee – Scott Kidder – Gabe Erwin – Clinodev –
CastFromTheHip

Check out my SHIRTS: http://realisticfishing.com/realistic-fishing-shirts-and-stuff/

Follow me on social media:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RealisticFishin
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RealisticFishing
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/realistic_fishing

1. Nugget Dugget

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I don't know if you'll see this but before the video starts I just want you to know that you're one of the only people who fish on YouTube that aren't obnoxious and have no bull crap in their videos and that is actually fun to watch no matter what you do

2. Casting Costas

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I'm a little late to the party on this video but I found an article from 2009-2010 online about that reel.

Full copy and paste of the article below if you're one that doesn't trust strangers on the internet.

"A couple of years ago US Reel rocked the fishing world with their SuperCaster spinning reels. The oversized spool, smooth drag, and ability to survive in harsh applications earned them wide acceptance. Texas wade fishing guides whose unpracticed clients are prone to dunking reels found a highly sought solution to sticky bails, stuttering drag clutches and countless hours hunched over workbenches to keep gear in good order.

This past July at the ICAST show, US Reel rocked us again. Rumors of a radical new baitcaster had been leaked but the nuts and bolts of what Fred Kemp, founder and president of US Reel, had up his sleeve were sketchy. Given the innovative design and performance of the SuperCaster spinner, everybody was dying for a peek.

"Today, we are unveiling the greatest innovation in baitcast reel design since the introduction of the free spool," was how Kemp kicked off his press conference.

If Fred's opening statement conjured skepticism, I believe it evaporated quickly. The slide presentation that followed was packed with radical concepts. The levelwind system and reverse rotation spool were quite unlike anything we had expected. And these were only the beginning.

If a better mousetrap is one with fewer and simpler parts, the SuperCaster 1000 gearing system has to be a winner. While other reels utilize external gear teeth to transfer power, the SuperCaster drive employs internal toothing. Way back when I used to get involved in gear manufacture, and while I had no idea how these teeth might be formed, the simplicity of the design just leaps out at you.

Now if fewer gears and other moving parts does not catch your eye, the absence of a deep gear case to provide gear alignment and power transmission to the levelwind will. The gear case measures a mere 0.200" deeper than the opposite frame.

The SuperCaster Angled Bar Levelwind steals the show. While conventional designs employ a worm and pawl system to provide movement to the levelwind guide, this one uses what US Reel calls a See-Saw. Again, fewer moving parts.

Best of all, during casting, there is no requirement for the line to "find" its way through the levelwind guide when the pay-off point is out of alignment with the guide. Friction is all but eliminated as the line simply peels from the spool and flows without restriction. Greater casting distance for unit of casting effort and greatly reduced tendency for overrun and backlashing are the result.

But that's not all the Angled Bar Levelwind has to offer. A quick push and twist of the fingertip raises and lowers the See-Saw. The full-down position allows line to skim unrestricted across the levelwind bar, full-up brings more contact. This feature combines nicely with the reel's centrifugal spool brake system to afford nearly infinite control. Much of what you need to prevent overruns and backlashes when you change from casting to pitching or turning to face the wind can be dialed in with no need to change centrifugal brake or friction control settings.

In the durability department, and given the track record the SuperCaster spinners have been laying down, the first question that came to my mind was, "How's it going to hold up to saltwater?"

Let's run down the list. First comes 7+1 stainless ball bearings that have already been proven in the spinners. Next is what US Reel calls SUPERCOAT-6. Six layers of surface protection starting with an anodizing treatment, two layers of EDP Anti-Corrosion, primer coat, base coat, and then clear coat. The spool is anodized, the spool shaft is stainless, the reel handle is forged for greater strength, the See-Saw Levelwind bar is titanium nitride (TIN) coated, the drag clutch is of dual disc "high heat sink" design.

Had enough "tech-speak?" Let's go fishing!

I received a pre-production sample reel via UPS on January 26, 2009 at 3:00pm. We were packed and ready to leave for Port Mansfield to fish Friday and Saturday with Capt. Mike McBride. McTrout, as we call him, had been burning up my email and telephone with invitations.

"Listen Everett, this kind of fishing don't come around often, we're into some really good stuff right now. These trout are running pretty steady at five to six pounds and one of Tricia's guys popped a heavy seven yesterday. You need to get down here."

So with my shiny red reel on the dashboard where I could ogle it, Pam and I along with Joe and Norma Meyer of Fishing Tackle Unlimited fame, headed south with visions of big trout splashing in our heads. Checking into the motel, we readied gear for an early start and filled the spool of the SuperCaster 1000 Pro with 20-pound TufLine braid.

Friday morning was anything but inviting. Fifty-degrees and stiff wind from due north gusting to 30-something makes another pot of coffee and another taco pretty inviting. Long about 11:00, and carrying too much coffee for dressing in breathables, we stowed our gear on Mike's big Explorer and headed south toward the Arroyo and some protected water.

Cruising a surprisingly clear flat, we were soon running amid innumerable mud boils. Mike shut 'er down and stuck the Power Pole while we bailed off hoping to get bit. Tucked in as we were, the wind was at least bearable even if it wasn't any warmer.

Now working with a new reel always means a few mistakes, but after a few adjustments and practice casts I was letting it rip. I can honestly report that aided with 10-15 mph wind on my back I was pitching the combination of a 1/16-ounce Hogie screwhead and Texas Trout Killer II farther than I could fish it effectively in two feet of water with grassy bottom. Before I could gather slack and pop the lure it was grassing up. Switching to a 1/16-ounce weighted worm hook and rigging a 5" Assassin in weedless fashion reduced casting distance just slightly and reduced the grassing problem greatly.

I cannot say I never backlashed the reel. After gaining confidence I reduced the centrifugal pegs in "on" position from three to twobacked off the friction knoband lowered the See-Saw bar. First cast sailed like it was it was shot out of a cannon. Second cast kinda gave me a problem. I had to wade back to the boat and work on it for a few minutes.

I finally got everything settled into a good working position and began to concentrate more on the fishing. Pam and Norma had already strung us two reds for dinner and Joe was struggling with what turned out to be a 31-inch beast that pulled his Boga to eleven pounds.

My turn came shortly, not quite as big as Joe's, but a strong fighter at 29 inches and almost nine pounds. The drag ran as smooth as butter during the several long runs the fish made. I didn't keep count, but over the next two hours I think it would be safe to say I caught at least a dozen more, all longer than 25-inches. The SuperCaster continued to perform very well.

The reel seems to like very slight thumb pressure placed evenly between the frame and the edge of the spool. Actually, pressure is somewhat of a misnomer, the weight of your thumb is probably enough to prevent the line from "loosening" around the spool during the early stages of a sharp cast. With the exception of the bad one I caused during my distance shenanigans, the occasional few made when flipping and pitching into the wind came untangled with little effort. It is worth noting though, the absence of a levelwind guide dictates pinching the line between your thumb and forefinger for resistance to engage the levelwind mechanism when gathering completely slack line.

If I could cite a downside or disagreeable feature it would be the thumping sensation of the line running across the See-Saw during the cast. At first I thought the spool was running eccentrically at high speed. Taking time to observe more carefully, I was able to time the thumps to the line crossing the high points of the levelwind. Phoning Fred at US Reel to report my findings, I learned the fix was already in and the first production batch would not do this. Actually, it was not that big a deal. By the end of the day I learned to ignore it and it never interfered with the reel's casting or winding performance.

As for McBride's promise of big trout jumping in your waderseverybody got a couple of three to four poundersexcept me! Saturday brought better conditions and an earlier start. We again caught a pile of good reds, Mike got a husky speck that weighed just shy of seven, I pulled a heavy five. All things considered, including shrieking wind, we had a great trip. We shared the new reel around our group and had the good fortune to bump into Capt. Ernest Cisneros on the water. He too agreed… nice reel!

Two days of wade fishing is only the beginning of a test; I'll be giving it more duty in the coming weeks and months to determine long term durability. If this little number holds up as well as its spinning siblings it's going to be awesome. Look for a follow-up report and be sure to check out the US Reel SuperCaster 1000 Pro at the Houston Fishing Show.

3. Keagan Christian

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Dude that shirt is boss 🔥🔥

4. gary m

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Good Stuff Painting is cool looks like you Cheers!! :))

5. Weekend Warrior Outdoors

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

That's a great mail call, all those old baits will still catch fish. 🤠👍

6. Fishing With Vance

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Love that painting. Really nice. Keep it Realistic!

7. Frankie Fuentes

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Awesome email Alex keep making themVideos

8. Tad G

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Caught my PB on power bait power worms

9. Bobby Pennington Adventures

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

That painting was awesome and that old baitcaster was cool. Looking forward to you trying that Tokyo Rig as well.

10. Dennis Nicholson

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

The reel with the strange line guide is made by a company called U.S. Reels and, despite the somewhat used condition of your example, is still very much in business. From what I see, they have five models; Invader, Effortless, Liberty, Gibson, and Salt 1. All have a 6.5:1 retrieve and weigh between 8.1 and 8.8 oz.. I didn't see any prices on the company's site. Why don't you take the chance on it and fix it up just to see how it does.

11. DEBO'S Fishing

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Love those old baits. I found some OLD power baits of mine from like 20 yrs ago. It was a twin ribbon tail. Northfork is a good dude. Nice of you to shout him out.

12. Sonja Holzhausen

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Nothing better to do on a rainy day in TN than to binge watch Realist Fishing! I learn something every video!

13. Sonja Holzhausen

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Nothing better to do on a rainy day in TN then to binge watch you on you tube! I learn something every time I watch an episode.

14. Bass Kicking

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Catfish fisherman always leave trash on the shore,that’s realistic!

15. BassGeek

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Wow that's a wild level wind setup. I've never seen anything like that.

16. Jeffery Stovall

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Looks like good stuff. I have some good luck own the zoom grubs. That is good color.

17. Jake Deal

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I like that blaze crankbait

18. Fernando Fishing Florida

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

You come across some cool stuff lol.

19. unionse7en

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

That line laying device is an elegant design! Only requires simple rotating parts to convert rotary into linear reciprocating motion 😉 nice vid!

20. Rolando Castro

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I want to see that baitcaster in action, how old is that thing??

21. Ryan Pellegrini

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Tokyo rig, pretty much a drop shot set up

22. eric gingrad

👍

23. Jeffrey Lunday

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

One quick thing about those Strike King lizards. Don't store them in the same place with regular plastic baits. Results are not great. I think that it's the same plastic as the Z-Man plastic. It really stretches out and the bait also float. I still have my U.S. Reel 240 SX spinning reel.

24. Dee Piper

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I love old fishing tackle. I have a bunch in my garage. When it warms up I think I will dig some of it out and catch some fish with it.

25. Blue Boy

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Awesome Painting!! I like seeing some of those old baits!!! Enjoyed!!! Look forward to seeing you fish with that bait caster!!

26. Mark Ridgway

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

THE BEST YOU TUBE FISHING CHANNEL EVER! THUMBS UP!

27. BigCountry1911

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I watch allot of your videos and was curious to know on your spinning reals do you run mono line on them? If so do you just prefer it over the braid on the spinning rod? I have never used braid and have a few that say I should switch to it.

28. RogueStatus Fishing

Damn it I want that Tokyo rig!! Please make a video on that this spring

29. Joco Ginder

Nice vid nice baits!

30. Meme Boi

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

For my second comment. I LOVE THIS GUY and his appreciation for all the shit he does. Keep it Realistic, god dammit. Honestly what a guy tho

31. Meme Boi

Hey man I was fishing in 34° degree weather earlier and caught a few

32. Korey Williams

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

That painting was awesome looking. And you got a lot of really neat stuff. 😊

33. mitchell margraf

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

you should do a catch and cook and make some spicy fish tacos

34. Kernel_Kraut

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Lancaster? Mark, I'll pray for you.

35. James Hutcheson

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I always dig the baits that take me back to middle school. My favorite was the black Berkeley Power Craw with chartreuse claws.

36. mikein210

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Go hit up academy 1/2 off all there clearance!!!!

37. Michael brajkovich

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

My dad has a reel with that old style level wind for saltwater. It works as far as I can tell, but I wouldn’t use it

38. Mike West

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Got an ad for major league fishing, lol.

There are some boys in cali that treat old plastics like t rex seaman. Fact is old lures catch those giant bass when their picky. By the way hit up academy right now, 50% off marked Clearances prices.

39. Hopsky's Lounge Outdoors

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Awesome stuff! That Tokyo rig looks interesting and I also really like that painting!

40. Taron Rich

March 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm

The US reel is awesome for small and light lures

41. ohh yeah yeah ohh yeah yeah tyler doran