Fly Casting, The ROLL CAST More at http://www.swiftflyfishing.com
“Although it is not a slack line cast, the Roll Cast really is a special cast — it’s the foundation of all Spey casts and once mastered it opens up a myriad of extremely effective casts for both the single and two handed rod….”
– This tutorial, along with 9 other casts, the five essentials of fly casting and additional explanations are all available either for free download, purchase or as an entire set included in one volume on our Casts that Catch Fish DVD at http://www.swiftflyfishing.com

1. Darren Bentley

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Superb cinematography. Best casting how-to video series I've seen! Please keep them coming.

2. 11jt2007

Amazing loops

3. Miranda

4. Dave Churchill

Excellent video. Cheers!

5. Stewtube 2016

Very nice.

6. Butch Davis

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

I HAVE A PROBLEM! I have a very good Std Overhead cast or even side armed cast. A good snake roll, a sorry Snap T…The Roll cast escapes me completely. From a bank, I can create a good D-Loop, begin the cast with the reel 14-16" from my ear, forward and out with a good Tap at the end and no matter what I do, my line goes 20 feet up 20 feet out, with the bulk of the line in a neat pile. Haul/No haul- 1 O-Clock to 11, 10, 9..doesn't matter. The results are the same. Every time I do not get a level cast, it's mostly up in a huge loop. It's better side armed, fixed line but cannot get a haul to work. -and there are no Experts in 100 miles of me except Carter Nelson who is impossible to get hold of.

7. Benjamin Abee

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Are you using a shooting/mini skaggit head in this video? I can't seem to perfect the D loop. I just bought SA Magnum line and it performs way better than my stock line, but the OPST Skaggit system looks appealing. Thanks for the great content! Cheers!

8. Ronald Patrick

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Totally agree with earlier comments. I've seen lots of videos as I am trying to get competent – this video will go much further in getting me to move forward. The next video needs to be how to land that fish once the graceful cast has attracted it.

9. Alms Mine

Wonderful instruction. Thanks.

10. Tom Chinn

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

The line used looks a lot thicker then what I'm using. I'm struggling to get any distance on my fly, would this help? I believe my line is wf7f. Any tips would be much appreciated!!

11. Joseph Meraz

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

great video. inspired me to fly fish again.
    straight forward explanations. stunning visuals. great job

12. Craig Mounsey

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Great videography mate, watching a good roll cast in slo-mo never gets old. I fish the Tongariro a fair bit and roll casting is a life saver. I subscribed and look forward to exploring your other videos. cheers, Craig

13. fast flow fishing

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

this is really neat, i cant wait for the snow to melt. i till fish in the winter and ill try it but winter fishing isnt that great

14. Ernest Pena

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

its so hard but I can make a very log cast but I can't roll cast and i broke my rod with this technique.pls help.

15. Wyatt Collins

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

This is a great video. I can't wait to practice this. Since I fly fish for largemouth bass, I find my self fishing a lot of spots on ponds with trees behind me rather than in streams. Most of my casting techniques are things I made up, but after hearing enough about the roll cast i finally decided to check it out and it looks very useful.

16. Adrian Lopez

Great work! Thank you!

17. James James

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Antipodean fly fishing commentaries are a sweet antidote to the hoards of American commentaries in which someone who can barely cast a fly feels the need to educate us with the benefit of their inexperience. Nice explanations!

18. The 720

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Great video, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge! i cant quite get over how smoothly you get the line to turn over!

19. RandomTXDude210

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Gotta love instructional videos that just get to the point. No attempts at humor, no minute long production company introductions with brash music and cheap graphics, just right to the point. Certainly helps that the point is quality instructional information, and for that I thank you.

20. Charles Coats

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Fantastic explaination with very good visuals. Thank you for your quality video and clear and organized instructions.

21. Josh Everett

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Will a WF fly line be fine for doing roll casts?

22. USColt54

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

When I roll cast everything comes out straight except for the leader. The leader is crumbled up together part of the time. REASON?

23. tallaganda83

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Great videos, looks so graceful, I just bought a fly rod yesterday and I'm going to take her down the river to have a bit of a practice today, my issue is not so much with the cast itself, but what is going on will all that extra line and so forth?, how much line should I pull off, should I have the drag loose, and how much line should I start with hanging out the end of the rod? This is beginners stuff I know but I cant find much info on it, these videos are the best I have found on casting though, If I could get half as good as you I would be happy.

24. Shawn

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Great video. You make it look so easy.

25. Coleman Savage

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

is this cast possible with heavy wet flies

26. Arthur Chapman

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Your videos are the best on youtube in the subjects you cover. Thanksl.

27. david elliott

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

what rod and line are you using here…

28. Great Cove Adventures

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Well done and very instructive.  Thanks!

29. Mike Round

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Hi,  You certainly inspire enthusiasm in your audience.In the sequence you show when you cast on grass, what are you using for a rod and line.
    Thanks for a great demonstration.

30. 803brando

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

ive noticed a slight haul with that control hand. i could never get a roll cast right until i put a double haul on it.

31. Arthur Perier

April 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

excellent video, amazing casting skills
    I looked down to see if someone asked about the bright yellow part of your line, but nobody did…
    what's that? Are you coloring it yourself?

Thanks