Hello folks, this week we have the third of three parts where we go into detail on the different types of fishing line and the advantages and disadvantages of each type: monofilament, braided, and fluorocarbon fishing line.

Today we go over the advantages and disadvantages of fishing with braided fishing line.

Thanks for watching our mini-series on the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of fishing line.

As always good luck, and good fishing’!
Ivo

1. scott b

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Question about leader lines, you have said that you use a leader that is twice the length of your rod, if you are getting snagged or something and have to snip off some of your leader how short would you let it get before you were to retire a whole new leader?

2. Ahmad jj

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

so since the only disadvantage besides price is visibility in the water, and besides that its the best in every way, how come invisibraid isnt hands down just the best line

3. TheCaster26

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

When spinning using crank baits it appears light/ very thin braid in windy conditions may catch the rod rings , a solution can be to use thicker braid . Even experienced anglers using the best reels and rods are finding very light narrow diameter braid can catch in rod rings . their solution is to use heavier larger diameter braid. Eg, going from 20 lbs to 30/ 35 lbs braid.

4. daniel sakamoto

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I started using braid and I get nice long casts with my spinning reel but every so often I get these knots and don't know what causes them. It can be very frustrating to untangle. I'm almost to the point of switching back to mono but like braid for its cast ability. Can you tell me how to avoid getting these knots?

5. GreenEYESfromOHIO

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Ivo couple questions….why does braided line cast farther then mono or fluorocarbon? What does microfilament mean? Is it the same as braided line? Also, what's a good brand of braid to buy that won't break the bank and most suppliers will carry? Thanks as always!!!

6. Darryl J

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Hi Ivo I'm just getting into Surf Fishing, I want to us Braided lines on a spinning reel with a 7 – 8 foot pole will this help my casting better then Fluor or Mono

7. Fred Beer

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

When tying a fluorocarbon leader to the broad will the knot connecting the two interfere with my cast or get stuck in the eye?

8. Case Southerland

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Hey Ivo. It's Case. I hear that you don't use braided line when using crankbaits. If I use braided line (like what I have on my baitcaster) for crankbaits, which leader should I use: Fluorocarbon (stretches a little) or monofilament (stretches a lot)?

9. Case Southerland

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Hey Ivo. Case again. I've used braided line for just about every fishing trip. When I'm fishing for catfish and carp, I tie the braided line to a barrel swivel and use 20 pound monofilament on the other end. I know that catfish and carp rely more on smell than sight to find the bait, but should I use fluorocarbon instead of monofilament, or does it really matter?

10. VJTrey1

hi, what pound test of flouro leader should i use for my 30 lbs braid? thanks

11. plutoplatters

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

are you "kinda" using mono… it you indeed tie on mono as a leader… especially if it's a long one  !

12. ed damude

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

braid will also cut into your rod guides !

13. ed damude

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

if you need to put mono line on so the fish cant see it why use braid to begin with! i have tried many braids and had many problems; wind knots,color loss, noise, and high price! i crappie fish and change my line every time i go out ! 2400 yards of stren original , $ 32.00. the only thing i use braid for is sewing my jeans, WORKS GREAT, TELL YOUR WIFE !

14. melo89na

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

why wudnt u use braied line with fluoro leader for casting crank bait like (lures and spinners) ?

15. Ethan Wong

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Hey, Ivo for the flouro carbon leader on the braid the length can affect casting when coming out of the reel and guides, do you have a suggestion for solving that problem? I have caught fish on braid but sometimes it is hard to make a lure natural with casting out a shorter flouro carbon leader

16. Troutfishernz

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

another advantage of braid and the biggest one for me is the direct exciting fight you get when hooked up with a fish. fighting a fish on mono is lame in comparison.

17. MrSanthoshjolly

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

hi thanks for good tips, i am planning to buy braided line just because i can cast far from pier and hook big fish around 20lb (bcoz i hooked Mulloway twice and missed – line broken), so im going to buy 30 lb braided line and fish finder rig with heavy sinker (at least 60 gms) on the top my whole pilchard bait.
    my question is,
    on the 3.55 th min you said " the only time you won't use this line for casting weight" what does that mean ? can you please explain that..?
    one more general question is it possible to bring  a 40 lb fish with 30 lb line (not lifting from the pier) just close to the pier..?
    thanks for your time.

18. Don Sulis

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Ivo, I have a question. I've been fishing for a year or two and just recently graduated over to braided line. I spooled up a couple of days ago and haven't had the chance to fish with it yet. I'm going to take your advice and use a leader double the length of my pole. My question is, will using a long mono/fluoro leader effect the sensitivity of the braid? Thanks! Love your channel.

19. Jim Vue

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

What style of knots do you have between the braided and fluorocarbon lines

20. Luka Dobrich

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Could you do a mono leater line

21. Johnny Quest Fishing

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Ivo, I watch a lot of your videos, I find them educating.  I wanted to ask. If I use Braided Line, say 50 Lbs Test.. What Lbs Test do I use for my Fluorocarbon Leader ???

22. David Simpson

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I have used straight spiderwire glow viz for bass fishing. No leader. I have tried all kinds of braid. This is the best hands down in managing and casting. I love the hooksets. And have boated fish that I would have otherwise lost with other lines. Just have to be careful when coming I to contact with cover or the hook will easily penetrate into the cover and hang you up whereas with mono the lure would just pop off due to stretch. I started using straight braid on jigs and plastics. Now I'm using it for spinnerbaits, top water, chatterbaits, swim baits. Basically everything but cranking. Braid is the way to go!

23. Thundermist Lures

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

To Jeremy:  Hi Jeremy – because there is no stretch with braid, when using crank baits, there is a tendency to pull the lure away from the fish too quickly, where as mono or fluorocarbon have more stretch to them then braid does and this hesitation helps with the hook set.
    If you want to use braid, then just be sure to use an extra long leader line (for example 15 feet)  Good luck on the water 🙂

24. Jeremy Botelho

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Why dont you use braid when casting crankbaits?

25. 559LILPAW

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I tried braid for the first time and I had a lot of trouble with Line tangles on my braided line when I cast out. What could be the problem and what can I do to resolve it?

26. VoiD

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Why don't you use Braided on a crank Bait? Is there any reason behind it?

27. 559LILPAW

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I never used braid but I'm going to try it. I was looking at the power pro 10lb test 2lb diameter braided fishing line for trout fishing with a 6lb fluorocarbon leader. What are your thoughts on that including the brand of braided line I'm thinking of getting??? Also I have heard that braided line damages your rods guides very quickly by cutting into them is this true???

28. Matt Suarez

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

What reel was used in the video? Great video!

29. Isaiah Torres

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Whats the difference in top water lures and deep water lures

30. Timothy Herr

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Do you recommend braided line for finesse fishing?

31. R&R Michigan

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

What not should we use if we want to tie a fluorocarbon leader on to the braid? Also what pound fluorocarbon should we use for king salmon, they are around 3 feet here with a fair amount of weight.

32. James Howard

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

With braided line that, is for example, 10lb test, would you use the same pound test flouro for the leader?

33. Pryda-Z

Great thanks!

34. Pryda-Z

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Thanks for the tip Ivo. Also what kind of artificial lure do you recommend for surf fishing? I live in Florida if that help?

35. Dominic Duran

Thanks Ivo helped a lot

36. Pryda-Z

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Hey Ivo what's the best line to use for fishing the shoreline? Types of line plus the lb test to use. Also for surf fishing do you your recommend a 2piece rod?

37. rslim5

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

What about if i use a blood knot to tie the lines together

38. rslim5

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Does adding a liter on braided line put you at higher risk for break offs?

39. Micah Howard

April 10, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I have a couple questions. Why wouldn't you use braid for casting crankbaits? And how are fluorocarbon leaders typically tied on?  Is it a direct line to line connection?

Also, thank you very much for the videos. I am a young beginner fisherman, and I enjoy watching them as I feel they are a great representation of what fishing is all about. Your show is informative, fun to watch, free of unnecessary flair, and respectful of fish and the environment.

And maybe it will help me catch a few fish!