In this video, Kelly discusses what to look for when purchasing a new fly reel. With advancements in both the casting and machining process, today’s modern reels are better than ever and most drags out there will handle just about anything you can throw at them. This video focuses on the subtleties that make a fly reel right for you and why to choose certain styles of spools over others.

1. Phillip Imsdahl

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Helps a lot you just saved me money and frustration.

2. Michael Fish

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

It's truly a shame that there are so few click-pawl reels to choose from. My Ross Colorado LT is my favorite reel. I don't catch more fish with it. I don't catch less fish with it. But every single time a 12 inch trout goes on a screaming run with it I have an eargasm. If they made bigger ones than 4/5 I would buy one for literally every rod I own.

3. Joshua Hemmings

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

can you use a fly fishing reel for normal fishing?

4. Lucas O'Baugh

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

What kind of rod and reel could I use for bass and trout fishing

5. Raymond Thompson

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Hey Kelly. Great stuff. Could you do similar videos pertaining to all aspects of life please? I think we the people of the world would benefit from your wisdom, and honesty. SUBSCRIBED! Many thanks. Ray

6. Wendy Brown

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Hi, if i have opportunity to get a 6210 sage 9/10 reel . New in box for reds, bass, etc… $200-230…what are your thoughts?

7. ranchand58

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Lol…really like your videos, put Johnny on sometime for equal time…LOL…

8. Bell Liberty

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

So they're all reel good? Ha. Ha.

9. Ezra

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

I agree that drag is really not that necessary on certain species… but when it comes to larger species it does help quite a bit.

10. screwedagain1

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

All I can say is…..I wouldn't wanna be Johnny.

11. Schnerpts s

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

"I always go one size bigger. This is a three (3) and it's going on my 4wt, so I'm going to a 4. It's that simple." at 11:09

I didn't quite get that. Seems like you're going a size smaller, then? English is not my first language.

12. McCrae Stephens

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Definitely need drag for saltwater

13. dutchflyfisher

Hello Kelly,

I want to buy a new reel for my Orvis Helios 2 10feet #5.
    I do like the new Ross animas and the LTX.
    I've also seen the Orvis Hydros.
    What do you recommend?
    greetings to you and tight lines

14. Jay 88

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

I've been fishing an Orvis Clearwater 5wt full flex rod with a Bauer reel for over 15 years. Same rod , same reel , cork drag , and I've caught everything from trout to pan fish to bass and pickerel, and I've never had issues with the rod or reel. Crazy high drag pressure isn't needed. Great video and no BS.

15. Ryan Chan

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

This guy is awesome lol. Straight to the chase.

16. Anonym1 Anonym2

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

The irony in the whole flyreel world, is that reels that have no drag actually are more expensive that the ones who have dragsystems. Like my backwinder trout (norwegian product, don't exist anymore) perfect trout reel, no drag.

17. Anton Pasternak

you the best.Honest.

18. Samy Guerrero

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

What fly reel would you recommend! For big salmon 12 to 20lb Wit a cost of 100 to 150$ I’m new on this.. thanks

19. iSweat-Axion

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

This guy is bs, you want the fish to turn downstream. If the fish turns downstream it can’t make a quick run down from upstream and overwhelm the angler resulting in a loss of tension.

20. Fredrick Rourk

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

You can score old Martin Reels of eBay for $10 to $15 if you shop.

21. Fredrick Rourk

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Ye old Pfluger Medalist does the job. Got it sitting on a late 70's Shakespeare Wonderod. I run https://406flylines.com/ 6WF

22. Vitaliy Savchyshyn

That’s. It cheap, check out eBay you can find reels for 15-20$

23. seanautube

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

8:20 Does anyone know what the two reels in the middle are that he's focusing on that free-spool?

24. Evan Hammond

U can buy a good trout reel for 50 bucks

25. Jess Hull

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

I am so with you on the heavy reel. Most of the reels I use are 50 years old plus and they're heavy and I love it.

26. Fred Block

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Thank you for honest and transparent videos like this one. Newer fly anglers like myself can appreciate information like this! I sure do! 👍

27. Casey Rand

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

This is my 13th time watching this video.

28. screwedagain1

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

I love my click and pawl reels on smaller water. The Cortland Rimfly and Pflueger Metalist. Simple…and durable as hell. It's what I started out with many years ago , so there's lots of great memories attached to them. Not that I'm immune to the new large arbor reels. I have one on my 8 wt. for Stripers and Blues. It's pretty much a necessity for big fish making those long runs.

29. Raval Seojattan

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

I just realized he has to go to a bigger reel than his line rating because the modern reels are lighter. Which also means with a heaver reel you don't need to oversize. Am I right?

30. Todd W

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Seeing your reel backing is akin to seeing the wife’s lingerie. It’s seldom happens and when it does, you are likely getting in over your head. 😳

31. Dannyvill411

January 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Super informative and you are super funny thank you so much for the information ….