A leader connects a fishing line to hooks. Learn more about fishing leaders in this free fishing video from the owner of a fishing tackle store.

Expert: Larry Mastry
Bio: Larry Mastry and his brother Dale own Mastry’s Tackle, a fixture in St. Petersburg, Fla., and together they have a half of a century’s experience in fishing.
Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz

1. summerdying111

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Is he choking on something ?

2. jitendra pal

jitendrapal

3. bobbydigital7136

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

No useful information at all…

4. summerdying111

Lol kind of odd ending

5. Tony Hong Fishing

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

6. Samuel Evans

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

thumbs up for the lulz at the ending

7. MtnNerd

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

I'm a complete newbie to fishing and I pretty much got the point of the leader the minute I saw it in the box. However I have no idea to how to attach the darn thing so this makes me want to tear my hair in frustration

8. Trouta Holic

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

i was told , your leader should always be at least 2 LBS lighter than your mail line ??
    now I'm hearing the Opposite???

9. Enzo Calquin

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Can someone tell me what's the spanish word for LEADER?

10. Jimbo .Snyder

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

I know this is probably a dumb question/s , but i'm new to fishing game. Can you put any kind of bait on any rod / reel like a spinner or a lure or live bait or artificial? And do you always need a leader for your line? And how long is the leader? If somebody would answer me i would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

11. Tim Hunt

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

if you were fishing with a float you would use a heavier main line and a lighter hook length.

12. prosteelheader

and the purpose is…?

13. Bruce Glisson

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Prosteelheader, listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about. In some cases you don't need a leader, in some cases you do. But you would never use a smaller line for your leader, your defeating the purpose.

14. prosteelheader

April 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm

i disagree. if im running 8lb main, and 12lb leader, then in theory my main is going to break before my leader. this causes huge lengths of main line to be lost as well as entire rig set-ups. so, i suggest running lighter leaders and heavier mains. at the same time, excersize a little more control and patience during the fight. why? because pressure on the line is why it breaks. let your skill, your patience, and the rod wear out the fish. this reduces the pressure on the line and no more snaps.