In this video, I explore the topic of how the increasing prices of fishing kayaks impacts and benefits us as a community and a sport overall. I firmly believe that the growth of the sport benefits from continued innovation and competition amongst manufacturers.

Filmed at FishUSA’s new Kayak Fishing Outpost in Fairview, PA.
—————————————————————————————————————-

JOIN KBF: https://www.kayakbassfishing.com/join/

JOIN FLW: https://shop.flwfishing.com/collections/membership/products/membership

SHOP Kayak Fishing Gear: https://www.fishusa.com/Kayak
————————————————————————————————————————-
Learn more about Kayak Bass Fishing – http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/

JOIN THE GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KayakBassFishing/

——————————————————————————————————–

Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/kayakbassfishing
Instagram – http://www.instagram.com/kayakbassfishing
Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/knotright
SnapChat – KayakBassFish

—————————————————————————————————
Get Started Fishing Kayak Bass Fishing Tournaments

KBF CHALLENGE SERIES (ONLINE ONLY EVENTS)

KBF Challenge Series

KBF TRAIL SERIES

2019 KBF TRAIL Series

KBF REDFISH SERIES

Redfish Challenge Series

—————————————————————————————————

1. Chris dehning

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I am a outboard rigger for aluminum fishing boats from $25k-$100k. I own and fish with a non-decked out plastic kayak that was around $300 brand new. I've had it for about 8 years and have caught 10lb bass in Texas and chrome Oregon steelhead. I shouldn't need to say this but the fish dont care what youre sitting in. Decide how comfortable your ass needs to be, decide what water you prefer to fish in, and how much gear you really need. Is fishing a sport or a way to get out into nature?

2. Fishin The 910

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I agree but I also disagree with what you are saying. Hands down yes a new kayak is a lot cheaper than a new bass boat. Here is the thing, I got into kayak fishing as I couldn't afford a boat. Then bam found a Carolina Skiff for $3000 (yes I bought it), about the same as I have into my kayaks, yes plural. I have 2 kayaks left, sold one. I love to kayak fish, more so than out of the boat so for me spending an "expensive" amount is reasonable. However not everyone can afford a nice kayak so to them a Nucanoe Frontier 12 at $1500 is still expensive when they are pinching pennies for a Lifetime Tamarack from Walmart for $250. Expensive isn't quite what you said it was, its something out of someones price range. A millionaire can afford a Hobie PA-14 completely decked out with the highest tech gadgets on the market that are "expensive" per your definition, but to them its chump change not considered expensive, yet for someone even like me who has a little extra money at the end of payday, that same set up is VERY expensive to me let alone someone who's budget after a year of saving is a $300 kayak.

3. dev deque

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I wish there was like kayak bases. Then you could choose between available parts as needed for the different bases. Some bases would be higher end, some lower. That would allow people to build their own ideal kayak for their budget. But also upgrade as they go. It works for computers. Probably makes too much sense.

4. Edith Quesenberry

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Plastic got so expensive unreal why can't they find a way to recycle it to make more plastic kayaks, people are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs over plastic kayaks look at me I'm in a plastic kayak forget about them jon boats😂

5. Christopher Roemer

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I have an Old Town Predator PDL and have somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,000 in it. I like to think I have the Ranger Comanche of kayaks! LOL But I justify it because it will never need to be in the shop for a bad stator, or a bad circuit board, or a lower unit issue, etc… And I'll never have to pay to store it anywhere. And I'm not renting it from the bank. And I'm not paying $2 or $3 bucks a gallon (or more) to fill it up. The only regret I have is not getting into kayak fishing 10 years ago. I hate to think how much money I've wasted on bass boats.

6. Bill Jeffries

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

You are exactly right. Capitalism brings more choices.

7. Terry Wallace

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Good to see free market work like that mind rang kayaks can up grade

8. jChannel1111

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I sold my bass boat to buy a kayak (SS127) an fully decked it out. It cost a bit of coin, but goddamn is it comfortable on those long days and I can get into any body of water where the bass boat couldn't.

9. Jay Pruss

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

While I would agree with you that you get what you pay for in the boat of choice, but the one thing that slips most conversations is that the newer boats are much heavier than the earlier boats. Sure if you are a younger angler you might not have issues with a boat that weighs over a 100 pounds, without any of your gear aboard. But as you age, this becomes a really big deal. Used to be an easy scenario stomp down some weeds and slide your boat in the water. While I totally enjoy fishing from my Frontier 12, I do enjoy my big boat, simply back in in the water and go. So for anyone looking for a new kayak, keep in mind the more stuff that is built-in, adds pounds that you have to haul around. Not to mention lifting it up to get back into your truck or on top of your car. It can become an ordeal if you don’t consider it from the beginning.

10. NYCMP1

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

👍You did good on this one. (All of them really) Nicely done!

11. StevenL

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I love kayak fishing but if I ever have to choose between a $3k kayak vs a $3k Jon boat I'll choose the boat, just makes more sense to me. Cover more areas and not to mention waaay faster to. But to each their own.

12. morgan ghetti

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

You can spend 500 dollars on a new Pescador 12. Awesome boat my wife has one and I use it all the time for ponds of when I just want to go for a paddle and don't want to load mine.

13. Voxguitarsrock

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

It's basically as costly as you want it to be. There's a cost of getting into it that pretty much everyone can afford. My main kayak cost me $375. It does everything I need but it's not high end by any stretch. But as far as high end yaks goes yeah, for $1800 ? I paid $500 for my 17' deep V salmon fishing boat.
    Good video as usual!

14. Art Zubiate

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

You sound like a dealer.

15. Gen10nine

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Well done, and nice explanation of why capitalism is a really good thing.

16. SC Yaker

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

So what’s the price of a gym membership per year and the average life of a kayak? Put those two together and you have a bargain when it comes to kayak fishing. You get to do what you love and exercise at the same time.

17. Tygs

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Comparing a kayak to a bass boat is ridiculous! Compare kayaks to jon boats and it's a different story. Brand new jon boat is cheaper then most kayaks except the absolute lowest quality ones. A new jon boat and a trolling motor is cheaper then most "fishing" kayaks sold now by far! Not to mention you can take a friend or a kid! As to being too expensive I say no. You get what you pay for just like everything else in life. But there is always other options to match your own personal budget!

18. Tony Coffman

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

There’s no doubt kayaks are getting more expensive AND that they are getting more affordable at the same time. More importantly, the more affordable fishing kayaks are getting much better in function and quality, just look at the new JK Bite that just launched, as well as several others.

19. TNVolFisher

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I’ve owned mid grade yaks, and now I have the top end PA 14- is it worth the money? Obviously, at least for me, because I bought it. Now, it could be said that maybe they’re expensive for a piece of plastic, but it could also be said that with all of the features, and labor involved in those features, that it’s not honestly that bad at all. I’ve owned bass boats as well- you can buy a decent tracker 175 for $16k, or you can buy a FX21 skeeter for $75k+. In my mind, comparing a high end kayak, to a low end boat, is a very poor comparison. Compare a $750 kayak to the bass tracker, and the Hobie PA to the skeeter, then we have a much better comparison

20. Tennesseekayak D

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Both sides of the argument are correct it’s just what are you looking for. The industry as a whole for a few years now has been on the the train of bigger is better the newcomers to the scene don’t know any better and are who are driving the market. To catch fish you don’t need much more than a hook, bait a paddle. No one needs a fishing shirt fishing shoes fishing shorts. Get out there in what you can afford and catch fish. I am with Chad on the torqeedo. But on the same token if a guy wants to get into kayak fishing and thinks he needs to spend three $4000 if that’s what gets them out there and get them started more power to them. I hope to see you out there just not at my spot ha ha

21. James Coleman

Chad
    I agree in part and here is why. Yes we live in a Capitalist Economy and you hit the right term "Consumers willingness" the problem becomes when manufacturers set retail pricing based upon what a small group of 'Consumers" will pay not the average "Consumer" vs cost of manufacturing (10-20% of society can afford to pay more than the normal person can) it's just a statistical fact. Integrity, Honor, and Fairness have become an ole fashion idea. Will consumers pay….. well yes but at what percentage 10, 20, 30 or 40%? It's everywhere not just in the Angler Kayak industry. Example: let's say a new manufacturer comes into play and they build an outstanding and vastly superior fishing kayak. The material cost to build each kayak is 250.00 wholesale, the cost to design and build the first prototype to include molds and heating/cooling is 50,000, overall investment and overhead are 150k. Here is where the issues start. The new manufacture decided that since their product is vastly better they priced it accordingly and anywhere between 150-200% mark-up for the 10-20% who can afford it without a second thought. They now have also priced out 90-80% of consumers who can't or won't pay those prices.

This is where Capitalism becomes Greed. This is just my opinion as I live with the Philosophy of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should". Look at what Apple did to the cell phone industry, 10 yrs ago it was unheard of to pay 300-400.00 for a cell phone, now consumers are paying in excess of $1,000.00 for the latest and greatest device. Somewhere, somehow, someone needs to reset the clock where you can get a quality product without having to get a loan or use a credit card.

22. TheClearchoice18

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I have a challenge for anybody that's out there who can make a kayak from recycled plastic ocean Worthy that will not sync that is self bailing who knows might become rich with the idea

23. TheClearchoice18

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Yes I think kayaks are too expensive due to the fact that is just a piece of plastic Maybe it took a piece of plastic but still a piece of plastic did she make kayaks fun and affordable specially for youngsters that can't afford boats

24. Reel Deal Outdoors

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I agree with you. I remember when backup cameras and touch screens and traction controls and whatnot were only available on the most expensive trim packages in vehicles… 10 years later and I just bought a new vehicle with more tech in it than you can shake a stick at for 25-30k. Takes time for that stuff to trickle down, but once manufacturers figure out how to produce the stuff more cost effectively and efficiently it always makes its way into that mid to lower level market. I’ll admit, I still grumble about cost despite knowing everything you just talked about lol. I’ve got maybe 3k in my yak and I griped every time I had to make another purchase for it. All said and done, I could have bought my buddy’s used 19ft Carolina Skiff for what I put into my yak… but while all these dudes are out in their boats, my tactical bass rig can slide up in the skinniest water in the marsh to catch fish they could never reach.

25. Saltwater Saddle Tramp

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

My Pelican Catch 120 was under $700.00 and I am very happy with it!

26. jim campbell

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Im a big guy im talking 300 lbs. I want to give kayak fishing a try. The problem is i dont wanna spend a ton of money on something if im not gonna like it. What would be a good realitively inexpensive fishing kayak for my first one

27. Andy Miller

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Either, or, I think is the decision most anglers are forced to make based on prices. I have both a bass boat and a cheap kayak that I’d love to upgrade but… It’s hard to justify 3-4K on a kayak when i have a lot more in the boat. That’s where I think most of the comments come from. I have a lake that is only accessible by kayak that I love to fish. The first two years I fished I didn’t believe there was a fish less than 4lbs in it. But my cheap rig is so uncomfortable I usually just fish from the boat. But I get it on both sides. I’d like a tricked out kayak but I have to ask myself how much am I willing to spend on a hobby

28. Casey Mclamb

Definitely accurate

29. REEF X mr

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

I just bought a Vibe sea ghost 130 for $800 new. I have a cart going on Amazon for accessories and I’m at about $200. $60 of that is a bed extender for my truck.

So I would imagine when it’s all said and done I might be at $1500 max.

30. МЛВ razum1967

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

All this is true, – it cannot be otherwise. Lamborghini can not cost 50 cents.) For technology, convenience, beauty and the desire to be first, in this life you have to pay.

31. Kayak Fishing Utah

April 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Just like life, you work your way up. Started with a $400 OK Trident 13. Four kayaks later, I am in a Hobie PA12. I see so many Hobies for sale that state they have never seen water. Make sure you're going to like the sport before you drop a crapload of cash! Just get out in what you can afford.