Realistic Fishing Tips – 5 reasons why beginners should not buy expensive fishing gear. While everyone else is out there trying to convince beginners to buy all sorts of expensive fishing stuff, I am trying to convince them not to. Marketing fishing gear towards inexperienced tweens is a dirty business. Here are a few tips on how not to waste money on hype. If you want to get better as a beginner, having expensive gear just to have it, is a waste for several reasons. I hope beginner fishermen can get better through practice and experimentation, and not fall into the marketing trap.

Send mail to the show here:
Realistic Fishing
PO Box 2005
Lebanon TN 37088

Buy & Try Yourself: https://www.amazon.com/shop/realisticfishing

Contribute via Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/realisticfishing
Awesome Patrons: Devin Long – Chaos Paddlers – Steve Dimond – Jason Smith – Joe Pusateri – Scott Hettel – Chue Lee – Scott Kidder – Gabe Erwin – Clinodev –
CastFromTheHip

Check out my SHIRTS: http://realisticfishing.com/realistic-fishing-shirts-and-stuff/

Follow me on social media:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RealisticFishin
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RealisticFishing
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/realistic_fishing

1. Lisa Twitchell

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I absolutely agree that beginning fisherman should use inexpensive monofilament. However, as more experience is gained and in situations that are very rough on fishing line, I suggest a trying fluorocarbon. I get much longer use out of fluorocarbon because I get far fewer nicks and abrasions on the line. This allows more time between having to cut off short sections of line and re-tying. I must admit that it's more difficult to properly retie fluorocarbon which may offset the time spent retiring monofilament. The more one practices tying fluorocarbon the faster and easier it gets.

2. Jason Bourne

Very well said

3. TheGoatMumbler

Badass t shirt dude!

4. Charles George

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Awesome advice everything you said is spot on. Love watching your videos cause you are keeping it real . Great job

5. Tony Jackson

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I would add that most $20 rods can be shut in a car door and still work just fine. My ugly stick from high school (15 years ago) still catches fish and I've put it through hell.

6. saph sergal

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

On point with the expensive reels one thing i enjoy about australia, theres a well knowen brand called alvey while yes the reels can cost a fair dime new if you go to stores like cash converters (basicly pawn shops) they are sold for 40 dollars or less for the small ones. I always recomend them since you can beat them up and nothing will happen if you dont break the spool. just 2 weeks ago now i dunked my alvey in the salt water and it just goes on working.

7. Tyler Doran

I like your t shirt

8. death pandemic

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

you need a certain amount of skill before a $150-200 rod is going to help catch you more fish. and that is the price point in bass fishing where the diminishing returns really start with rods. things like braid are another story. once you reach the point of being a "practiced novice" things like braid "can" make your life easier. less backlashes and wind knots, easier to keep a bait on bottom. a fluoro leader will get you more walleye and more strikes on finesse bass presentations. a spool of braid to leader will last you 2 years without respooling.

i have felt for awhile that the biggest problem with bass fishing is pro bass fisherman. specifically, pro bass fisherman having a different rod and reel setup for every presentation, weight of the presentations, and sometimes depth of the presentations and even the length of the casts. example, i saw one of my favorite youtube bass pro's say they like a 7'2 rod for carolina rigging on long casts but a 7"6 for tossing a jig for long cast. it was finesse fishing the same distance to the same spot on the same point and the bait weights were the same. then fished the weight of the carolina rig the same as he fished the jig. why would you need 2 different $350 rods to do this baffled me.

why is this a problem? you can buy a primo crappie rod for less than $50. and you can buy a beast of a catfish rod for less than $100. shoot you can get a st. croix mojo musky rod for $150. but you put "top of the line" and "bass" together and rods are $400. a top musky rod has to be light enough to fish with all day, throw baits from 4oz-20oz, has to handle the force of a backlash with a 1lb lure on the line, and also handle strikes hard enough to snap 60lb braid. rods with lifetime warranties that do all that start at $180 bucks. now your going to tell me that rods with half the material and much more forgiving applications cost 2-3 times as much? no, we are being charged a premium for "super mega awsome" and "bass". the small companies wouldnt exist without the premium and the larger companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

9. ThatDisney Fisherman

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

man ive been fishing for about 5-6 years now..and i STILL use low cost gear..
    its not the gear..its the angler..
    i fish on a budget..and ive never needed a rod thats costed me more than 200 bucks..dont even think i have a reel that is that expensive either..
    still catch fish!
    KEEP IT REALISTIC!!! nice vid!!

10. sherry Williams

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Good tips glad to see that you use your honest opinion and your not a sell out keep being real bro

11. Addicted Angler

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

cheap is not always bad, some cheap setups are better than some big brands , best reel that i own is 60$ orra winch, i also have used kastking and i was amazed how good it was and the 3 year warranty on abu rods its amazing customer service ( not affiliated with abu just real good product )

12. Ben Tech

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

agree i do have higher end stuff now but i still use cheap baits. Walmart lures are my go too and i have great luck with cheap Zoom Baits

13. Pull-N-Lips

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

This video should be seen by more anglers. Nothing like a dose of reality!

14. Fred Fable

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Excellent approach to elementary fishing. I totally agree with your perspective.
    At the beginning buy things you can break without crying…
    You will get the best stuff when you became a real fisherman.
    Donโ€™t buy commercials, buy things you need.
    Bravo, bravo, bravissimo!
    Fred.

15. BrewTank

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Thts why I luv major league fishing.. cause they hve all the expensive gear.. including depth finders the size of TVs.. and these pros will still only catch 1 two pnd.. bass all day

16. Aaron144

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I agree with this. Learn, and build confidence in baits before dropping the money for better brands. Or just stick with what you got. If youโ€™re catching fish, youโ€™re catching fish. The fish donโ€™t care how much you spent.

17. The North Florida Angler

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Great advice for the beginners! I couldn't have said it any better myself! Great video Alex!

18. Pescador Gallo97

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

This by far the best video I've seen on your channel, I completely agree with every point you said, I admit I'm not the best of anglers and do lose lots of jigs, for that I stick with the cheap brands cause they still do as good as expensive lures.

19. Mitchell Ray

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

The shirt…the mug…the sound logic with actual, REPRODUCIBLE results. Your channel should be mandatory viewing for every kid I see power fishing a whopper plopper on an 8 ft rod in 4 inches of oxidation pond water

20. Der Lee

100% agree

21. The Jim

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

All good points. + you will get that gear and then realize you want longer or shorter rods. Bigger or smaller reels, etc…

22. Fishing with Jesus

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I really appreciate this channel! Thank you for being you! Keeping real!

23. Ryan Littlefish

Beautiful intro ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

24. GabeErwin

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

When I was about 10 years old I got $20 for my birthday and decided to walk to the local tackle shop to buy the super awesome worms the TV fisherman told me I needed to catch bass. I will never forget what the old man behind the counter told me. "Son, you can buy whatever you want but you aren't going to catch shit on these expensive things if you don't know what you are doing." I still live by that moto.

Thanks for keeping it realistic.

25. Daniel Allex

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I you guys need a โ€œcheaperโ€ baitcaster I really recommend a Daiwa Fuego CT. You can get the 6.3โ€1 model for $70 on Amazon and you wonโ€™t regret it. If not, get the blackmax and save some money.

26. Yank UR Crank

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Absolutely great advice!!! Love the video!!! That shirt is awesome one of my favorite shows!!!!

27. fishing with jeff

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

some times if im too cheep for walmart ill go look in trees or log jams for old lost baits

28. BAMA 1986

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Man you should give the Abu garcia Ike Duke spinning combo. $15.00 (on sale). And honestly one of the BEST light acting rod and reel setups Iโ€™ve ever had !

29. BAMA 1986

A G R E E D. ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Even experienced and seasoned anglers donโ€™t NEED expensive gear. EVERYTHING I fish with is budget friendly !!! ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

30. The Fish Dimension

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Couldn't upvote this harder. Well said! Nothing against expensive tastes, but I LOVE looking for deals and using the cheaper stuff! All the practical reasons you gave here are reason enough, but lets say that looking cool is important to you… well you know what looks cool? Being able to land fish on ANY kind of equipment. You try out a 300 dollar combo, you slay em. Friend hands you a 15 dollar combo he's had in his garage for six years, you still slay em! That is what has always been cool to me. Someone who can get the job done no matter what they pick up. And that takes well rounded skills. The most valuable thing you take out there with you is experience. It beats all the rest.

I used to play pool a lot. There were plenty of guys who bought $300 pool cues that they carried into the hall in expensive leather cue cases and then they'd take it out, wipe it down like it was their newborn child or something, and then proceed to scratch on every shot they took. They looked all the more ridiculous carrying around all that fancy stuff when you saw that they couldn't make a shot to save their life. Meanwhile, I knew guys so good they could come in, pick up a warped half rotted cue off the pool hall's wall, and still run the table all night long. Now that's what I call bad ass!

31. Josiah Koval

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Yes most fishing stuff isn't to catch fish.. It's to catch fisherman! LOL

32. HOOKED ON PR Jon Rojas

So so so true

33. David J Scalf

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I started out cheaper and got damn good at it. It's best to stick with your expertise on buying anything fishing. I'm a Walmart lover of what they sell fishing wise.

34. mark perez

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I just found your channel and I am very impressed. I have not fished for over 35 years and am just now getting back to it. I have lots to learn and your information is a great asset.

35. Jam the Man Fishing

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Realistically, "He can't even throw the ball!"

36. Mark O'Donovan

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Fabulous advice not only for fishing, excellent video man I'm subscribed.

37. eusebio c

February 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I started off with cheap gear mainly because I didn't know if I would like fishing and didn't want to break the bank. Now I've started to buy a bit more expensive stuff. Still have my Wal Mart combos and still use them!